Sunday, January 24, 2010

Teacher Interview Continued...

Here's the response from Aunt's friend...

"I currently teach second grade for the Clark County School District out here in Henderson. My undergrad is in Elementary Education and I have a Masters in Technology in Education."--Julie Jones

(1) What tools are your favorite tech and web tools to use in the classroom?

The most used is the computer and now the internet. In our district students are enrolled in at least two different web based programs, EnVision math and Ticket to Read. The math one supports our current math program and Ticket to Read is a reading program that only allows students to advance as they pass the previous level. So, it is usually working on a skill they are in need of. I also use a wireless system which allows me to display my monitor onto my classroom TV


(2) What are your biggest frustrations with technology in the classroom?
One of the biggest frustrations is the lack of money spent in the area of technology, both in purchasing items and training teachers on how to use it. There are also discrepancies between what one school has compared to another. This varies because of each schools focus. We all get the same per pupil money but how it is spent varies widely. Some schools also do wonderful jobs at obtaining grants.

(3) What is the biggest misconception about using technology in the classroom?
That it will fix everything. Most of what we do is not technology driven at this point. Also, that it reduces paper consumption. Many still print off e-mails, memos, etc...


(4) What are the biggest hurdles that you face as an educator using technology in the classroom?
Having it available for my students to use. Many of the machines that we have are outdated and sometimes cannot support what we would like to do. There also does not seem to be enough computers available. I am in a pod with six other classrooms. Of those six, I would say at least four of us use the computers pretty consistently. That puts about 100 students trying to use 20 computers throughout the day. Sometimes I simply cannot get on them when I want to.

(5) What has been your biggest success with technology integration in the classroom?
I feel that I am a teacher that does integrate it into my lessons whenever possible. I am not scared to use it. It is nice to be able to not know the answer to something and be able to look it up right on the spot. That is a great example for my students that I am still always learning.

(6) Who/What has been your biggest inspiration in helping you to use technology in the classroom?
My biggest inspiration is my students. I really do want to prepare them for their future. They will probably be using technology in their everyday life when they get older more than I can even imagine.

(7) Where do you see technology integration heading in the future?

This is a difficult question to answer. I would hope it would be more prevalent than it is right now, but with the current economic situation I just don't see how that can happen. Our particular district is looking as to where they can cut funding. I cannot see them spending more money on technology when they are looking at increasing class sizes and waiting to adopt new text books.

No comments:

Post a Comment